The Sheda Science and Technology Complex (SHESTCO) was established by the Federal Government of Nigeria in 1993 as a multidisciplinary research and development centre. It is located 70 km from the capital city of Abuja, and is surrounded by beautiful scenery made up of hills and low-lying savannah vegetation. As a parastatal of the Federal Ministry of Science and Technology, SHESTCO is headed by a Director-General who also functions as the Chief Executive Officer. The current Director-General is Prof. Thomas, Sunday.
There are three National Advanced Laboratories at SHESTCO – a Biotechnology Laboratory, a Chemistry Laboratory and a Physics Laboratory. There is also a Nuclear Technology Centre, which houses a state-of-the-art gamma irradiation facility. The laboratories and centre are served by a workshop, where routine maintenance and fabrication of components take place. The laboratories also share a common library located within the complex. Research at SHESTCO is truly multidisciplinary. Generally, programmes within the complex are designed to fulfil one of the following objectives:
The provision of facilities for research and development at the highest possible level in the basic and applied sciences and technology.
The training and development of manpower in research methodology and programme formulation.
The development of research results for application in the areas of agriculture, health, industry and the environment.
The vision of SHESTCO lies in the provision of opportunities for the utilisation of modern technology to contribute towards the advancement of Nigerian society. To achieve this, the complex is at the vanguard of promoting information exchange between it and other institutions both local and international. It also contributes to the competitiveness of industries by promoting innovation, a key ingredient to survival in the face of growing global competition.
Vision of the Complex
The Complex was created with the vision to:
²Provide Opportunities for utilizing High Technology to contribute to the upliftment of the standard of living of the Nigerian Citizenry as well as guarantee a wholesome environment. ²
To achieve this objective, the Complex is to promote effective information exchange between it and other institutions within the country as well as between it and international institutions. It is also to contribute to the competitiveness of industries by promoting innovation and thus assure their profitability and survival.
Mission of the Complex
The mission of the Complex is to ²provide facilities for research and development at the highest possible level in the basic and applied sciences to the entire scientific community of the country to develop results of research for application in the areas of agriculture, health, industry and environment. ²
Mandate of the Complex
- Developing facilities for the effective practice of applications oriented Science & Technology in Nigeria,
- Carrying out research and development activities involving the highest level of technologies available in the world with a view to strengthening the technological base of the Nigerian economy,
- In particular, operating a nuclear research reactor facility capable of providing service in the fields of agriculture, medicine, industry and Basic Sciences.
- Operating internationally accessible and comprehensive data base, in the area of Science and Technology,
- Conducting research and development activities in the field of conventional and non-conventional energy,
- Carry out structured manpower training to meet the growing needs of Nigeria in the areas of high technology and
- Providing avenues through which all the institutions of higher learning in Nigeria may carry out capital intensive research on a cost effective basis.
Operations of the Complex
The operations of the Complex are carried out through two (2) major centres namely: the National Advanced Laboratories, and the Nuclear Technology Centre.